BlocPower is a clean energy startup that provides engineering, financing, and project implementation services for green building retrofits that save money, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve health and create local employment opportunities in low-to-moderate income communities.
Thousands of houses of worship, schools, non-profits, small businesses, and multifamily buildings across the country are not being served by traditional energy services companies because they are considered: too small, too costly, or too risky to serve. BlocPower’s platform provides financing and engineering services that reduce the barriers between these building owners and money-saving, quality-of-life-improving building retrofits.
BlocPower is currently offering no-money-down heating, cooling, and energy efficiency services to property owners in New York City and throughout the US. BlocPower is looking for an experienced finance professional, with knowledge of credit underwriting, to evaluate the creditworthiness of real estate, middle-market, and small commercial clients, as well as support the financing needs of the company generally. This position reports to the Head of Project Finance (Chief Investment Officer).
If you are as passionate as we are about sustainability, building performance, and social justice, we need to connect!
• Work directly with clients and business development team to address financing questions
• Gather financial statements and other credit materials from clients
• Perform credit underwriting according to company procedures
• Adjust financing deal terms for clients including pricing, and risk mitigation as needed
• Compile quarterly funds-transfer requests to pull revenue from secured bank accounts, based on project performance and expenses.
• Support Head of Project Finance and Finance Manager in structuring/negotiation of new project finance programs with capital providers
• Perform ad-hoc modeling of a) potential transactions with capital providers, b) profit, loss, and corporate financials, c) resolution of distressed assets, d) other needs as the situation warrants
• Give feedback on underwriting needs to advance development of internal underwriting tools
Required Skills and Attributes:
• 3-5+ years experience working in a finance-related role involving energy, equipment, real estate, infrastructure, or other hard assets.
• At least 2 years experience performing credit underwriting.
• A strong command of Microsoft Excel, including use of if-statements, basic macros, and finance related formulas.
• Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, economics, geography, environmental studies, or other suitable analytically focused major.
Nice to Have
• Experience underwriting multi-family building financials, and well as those of non-profits and religious institutions.
• Project finance background, including experience working with solar, wind, or energy efficiency assets.
• Familiarity with legal structures and documents related to energy transactions, such as Energy Service Agreements (ESAs), power purchase agreements, (PPAs), EPC installation agreements, loan agreements, and equity purchase agreements.
• An MBA degree and/or a record of high academic achievement.
Please send resume and short statement of interest to email@example.com
BlocPower provides equal employment opportunities(EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, BlocPower complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
BlocPower expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of BlocPower employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.